Electronic Arts sticks by Tiger Woods

by PYB James | Dec 01, 2010
 The chief executive of video game giant Electronic Arts (EA) has stressed that Tiger Woods position heading up their golf games is not under threat but that he does need to start winning tournaments again.
 
EA’s chief executive John Riccitiello was speaking at the Reuters Global Media Summit in New York on Monday and stressed that Woods needed to end his current losing streak.
 
Last year, Woods formerly the world number one, was divorced from his wife over reports of marital infidelity. The resulting loss of income from the divorce and cancelled sponsorships is thought to have cost him $35m (£22.5m).
 
Woods has since lost his status as the world’s top golfer and has not won a tournament in 2010.
 
EA are however sticking by him and are still planning to launch a 2012 version of the top-selling Tiger Woods branded golf game.
 
“There is no threat against Tiger. We’re with him because he has the promise of being the world’s best golfer,” Riccitiello said.
 
"We have no plans to move away from him, but it's a business relationship on the basis of we make the best golf game and he's the best golfer. Both of those things need to be true in the long run for the partnership to make sense."
 
Riccitiello also said that the launch of an EA game on Facebook without Tiger Woods’ name was planned before his loss of form and was aimed at reaching out to other types of games fans.
 
“We’re broadening the appeal of our golf business,” he stressed.
 
There is also the feeling that Woods’ reported problems have not cost EA anything and that the company still owes him some loyalty.
 
Riccitiello was keen to point out the relationship would continue for now. "He sort of stuck with us for a very long time and we made great business together and we're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a period of time.”

Your session

You have been inactive for 10 minutes. You will be automatically logged out soon.

Your session

You have been logged out.